File your Case

How to file an ADR Case

Alternative Dispute Resolution cases, such as mediations, conciliations, assisted negotiations and expert evaluations, are submitted to MCN by agreement of the parties or even if it is not mentioned in the contrat agreement, any one party can submit a request to call upon the other party to participate in a resolution process.

For administering the case, the request should include the following information and supporting documents:

  • a description of the nature of the dispute;
  • any applicable dispute resolution clause if any;
  • correspondence between the parties prior to MCN’s involvement, if the parties wish such correspondence to be part of the official record;
  • details of any cases which are under litigation, pending in courts related to the dispute;
  • contact details for all parties to the dispute (i.e., mailing address, e-mail, telephone, fax);
  • The name and nationality of any neutral(s) already appointed, information on the method of appointment, and any declaration made by the designees;
  • language of the proceeding; and
  • signatures of both parties or their duly authorized representatives. A request signed by one or more representatives must enclose proof of the authorization to act, for example, a power of attorney.

For immediate assistance please call us at  +91 8505 999 820 or contact us online HERE

Where to Send:

Please submit the request online (and in hard copy if agreed by the parties) to the following addresses:

Hard Copy (by courier):

Executive Director of MCN
w-122, III Floor, Greater Kailash-II, New Delhi 110048
Phone No. +91 11 29223017 and 19

Pre-arranged deliveries may be made between 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Upon arrival, please call MCN staff member in order for MCN staff to accept delivery.

Electronic copy:

Once the above information is received and MCN has agreed to administer the case, the Secretariat will request the applicable administrative fee from the parties. An estimate of fees for specific administrative services may be obtained by contacting the MCN case manager.